September 21, 2007

What to write...

Everyday, I encourage my students to write. I give them a journal entry and they must respond. I'm not too picky about the length or whether it's in cursive or print. I try to give different types of entries like write a description, make a top 10 list, respond to a quote, tell me what you thought about ______, answer the riddle, etc.... Each week they are also required to enter something into their journals on their own and of their own creation.

Well, today I feel like a hypocrite. I have been trying to add another blog entry for almost a month and I am experiencing the Great Wall of China of writing blocks. Here I ask them to spill it every day (for part of their grade), and I can't even come up with anything clever.

I guess I learned my lesson when it comes to writing. I don't think I actually believed it was hard for some people. I'm not talking about those lazy students who just don't want to put the work into picking up the pencil. I'm talking about those poor students who actually are seeing a blank white board in their heads when I tell them to start writing.

To those students I say, "I believe you now, and I'm sorry. I promise to do my best to inspire you from now on so you never have to see the big, white scary monster in your mind. And, I can't wait to see what you come up with once you have truly had an inspired idea!"

To the two known readers of my blog...thank you for your patience!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Your nuggets thus far (not to mention the fact that you're cool) make waiting easy.

I HATE the big blank white board.